4213Km - and Epilogue
05.02.2017 - 05.02.2017 8 °C
Actually this is day 20 now. Well rested and having my morning read of internet news and a good tea. The sun is out!
I tried to find some interesting quotes on travel and getting home ..... one of those soft pictures with a serious message.
Then noticed this...
No need to answer when you see me. There will still be a lot of ass in me whatever happens.
The road trip was good and it delivered;
1. meeting old places was good to find back some of the good memories. But each place changed in a way and so did I. From here no time to look back any more. Lucky I have no hidden desires AT all to go back to some of the other places I lived such as Djibouti/Romania/Malaysia. From here looking forward what is still out there (in other countries/places).
2. some friends asked me up front if I was not going to be alone. Being on my own is not a punishment for me and I am comfortable with it.
It is not the quantity of friends but the quality. The trip made me appreciate the people I like to call my friends - actually not call but feel inside they are friends and special people. At the end of the trip, the feeling to get back was just getting greater. Particularly to be closer to my kids.
3. Overall this fact that coming home is always a good feeling. I needed this trip as a 20y nomad to appreciate also the fact that this house is gradually becoming a home. It certainly gave me new energy to plan the last decoration items as well as fixing the garden this spring!
Sorry for these reflections if you were more interested in the travel bit.
Day 19 was the ultimate driving stretch. Over 1100Km. I was already in the mood to get back so nothing spectacular happened on the road. No pictures, no events.
Travel wise - my suggestion is still for you to get a mini cruise and do;
- the Baltic states. Or fly in cheaply and rent a car, hopping from one capital city to the other. AND DO THIS IS SUMMER.
- Copenhagen. It should be a great City trip, as most of internet tells you. Could have enjoyed a bit more but yes, weather..... Go for it.
P.S. Maybe you were thinking; has he gone soft in the head? Why talking about emotions etc - he is only (at the end) gone for 2,5 weeks?! Yes but do not forget that the plan was one month or so. Indeed I cut it short as such thoughts went through my head.
And if it is not enough - when I got home and checked the post - found two death letters of people in the neighbourhood who died in the short time I was gone. If nothing else, this is a clear reminder to use the time to the max.
Looking forward to meet the ones who live close and very much look forward to the ones living further away when they will visit me in the near future!
Let us have some fun when the time is there.
Do not know when but there will be certainly a "Southern trip" - in spring or autumn. Drive from Belgium through France. Stay in Bordeaux and do the wine area - some great places to stay in the countryside. And then all along the northern coast of Spain, up to Compostella. Great nature with the sea and the Picos de Europa. Great food, mainly fish. If anyone feels like joining, or just fly into a town on route for a couple of days, just let me know.
Over and out.
Zuienkerke, 5th Feb 2017